Re: Deployment Cases

michael.dillon@xxxxxx wrote:
[..]
> Unless I've missed something recent, the IETF did not do a lot of
> work on the scenario where IPv4 islands need to communicate over
> an IPv6 Internet, talking to both IPv4 and IPv6 services.

It is called dual-stack.

One will have IPv4 NAT and IPv6 e2e. This is already the case for most
end-users who have received an IPv6 block from their provider or who
went to a tunnel broker to get a nice fat /48 IPv6, while they only got
a /32 IPv4 from their provider. This has actually been a huge incentive
for a lot of people to start using IPv6 and to start using it everywhere
they have hosts as this way they can reach all their hosts at home and
have full e2e connectivity between machines, thus allowing you to SSH in
to your local box. This is a, by now, 8 year old trick btw ;)

The big question of course is: what exact problem do you want to solve?

Stating "I want to connect from IPv4 to IPv6", can mean a lot of things,
is this HTTP? SMTP? or do you really want a generic solution?

As for the case where you have a limited number of public IPv4 addresses
and want to provide them to the clients, who will have IPv6 all the
time, there is a sweet little protocol called DSTM (See for more
http://www.dstm.info) which solves that problem. Of course a protocol
like AYIYA also allows a IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel and lastly we also still
have SOCKS and application-specific proxies (eg MX's and HTTP proxies).
Oh I forget of course our good old ones: L2TP, PPTP etc :)

There are a LOT of choices, probably too many. The following URL:
http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=comparison has a short list
of them, not all of them are on it of course. eg tinc/OpenVPN etc are
missing.

Greets,
 Jeroen