Re: Deployment Cases

On 31 dec 2007, at 21:09, Dave Crocker wrote:

I don't think that's valid statistics: obviously many of the protocols in question were already successful before they were given to the IETF, which isn't necessarily the case for protocols developed "in-house".

That's the point: protocols created in the IETF, over the last 10 years, do not have a very good record of deployment and use. Protocols created outside the IETF and then brought into the IETF have a better track record.

But you missed my point, which is that stuff brought to the IETF will almost certainly already have some measure of success, while stuff developed within the IETF doesn't, because it's completely new. To make that comparison fair, we'd have to compare work started within the IETF with work started elsewhere regardless of whether it's brought to the IETF later.

Apart from that, the IETF has been around for 20 years now and IP for a few years longer than that. By now all the basic stuff has been invented, refined and reinvented a few times over. The low hanging fruit is gone, what's left is generally trivial or (almost) unsolvable. I don't think other standards organizations of similar maturity knock new protocols out of the park each and every time, either.