Re: Deployment cases

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
There are obviously other IETF streaming and VoIP technologies with RFC # > 2500 that are seeing large-scale use, including SIP, SDP, MGCP and RTSP, both in the enterprise and across closed and open IP networks.

SIP does seem to have reached critical mass for declaring Internet-scale success, doesn't it?

I can't judge the others you list and would appreciate comments from folks who can.

Faulting IMAP4 for lack of inter-domain use seems peculiar, given that its purpose is to retrieve email by users within the domain.

Wasn't sure how to phrase that. What I mean was to distinguish between "within an organization" versus between organizations, and particularly consumer-vs-ISP scenarios, where the user is interacting with the service provider but is still independent of them.

In other words, I believe IMAP gets used as a MAPI surrogate, but not as a general-purpose means of accessing mailboxes supplied by consumer-oriented service providers.

Those providers usually make IMAP available, but my sense is that it is not used all that much. POP seems to remain vastly preferred.

Calling VPN a "niche" also seems a bit strange. By that threshold, everything that doesn't get run by every single PC is a failure, which

If something is intended for a specialized use and it attains that use, it is not a failure. By the same token, there is a big difference between satisfying a small market versus satisfying the needs of 1 Billion+ folk.

So, yeah, a 'niche' might be 100M users, but that's still only 10% of everyone.

So how about calling these "segments" since that won't carry the baggage that "niche" probably does?

For example, the "intra-organization" segment is significant, but there is still the question of how much penetration is attained within that segment.

My intent is not to say that segments don't matter but that they are specialized (and, yeah, some are extremely small, while others are quite large.) Characterizing success within a segment can help us understand the limitations that might constrain broader use. An obvious example is admin and ops overhead, which can be made more manageable for some protocols when they are used within relatively homogeneous environments.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking