Re: Lets be careful with those XML submissions to the RFC Editor

Ned Freed wrote:
Whatever people feed into xml2rfc can be made stand-alone by running it
once through an XML parser and reserializing; or be applying an identity
XSLT transformation.

Sure, but my point is people probably don't want to do this all the time.

I've got a Makefile for that. Should I share it?

>> But anyway, if you think it doesn't make sense to generate
>> self-contained XML for each I-D, why submit the non-self-contained XML
>> source at all?
>
> Obviously you don't submit XML source up until that point.

I thought people did and that was a problem. Did I misunderstand something?

Yes, you're taking this entire line of commentary completely out of context.
This was all in response to Eliot's suggestion that XML versions of the
document should be required at the time of WGLC. John K responded to that
advising caution for various reasons and I chimed in with the additional reason
that this will force people to generate standalone intermediary versions
for submission.

I'm aware of what started the discussion.

However, when I use the submission tool today, I may not even know whether a particular version I submit will be a WGLC version. So I think whatever is the right answer for WGLC or LC is also the right answer for any ID version.

BR, Julian