Lets be careful with those XML submissions to the RFC Editor

As many of you know, when a draft is approved and sent to the RFC
Editor, authors are asked for the XML source of the draft. This makes
the subsequent editing easier, if XML2RFC has been used.

Recently, one of the drafts that I am responsible for had an interesting
problem with this. The authors mistakenly submitted wrong version of the
source file. Its an easy mistake to make. I know I at least keep several
versions of my source files around. If there are multiple authors they
might forget who was the last one with the submitted source, and so on.

What made this particular incident nasty was that the wrong file was
merely a wrong candidate for the final submission, not an earlier draft
version with a different version number. So things went forward all the
way to AUTH48. Amusingly, the RFC Editor though that the changes had
been introduced intentionally by the authors, and the authors thought
that the changes were introduced by the RFC Editor. Luckily we did catch
the error eventually, because the RFC Editor kept bugging me to approve
the changes. While the changes in this case were not catastrophic, this
was one of those drafts where the precise wording had been debated at
length. It would have been unfortunate to publish something else than
what had been agreed to.

I'm telling this story in order to alert people to be careful. In
particular, please be careful in submitting your XML file that it indeed
corresponds to the draft that was approved. Also, AUTH48 review is,
perhaps contrary to expectations, useful.

Jari