Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

Daniel Senie wrote:
> At 01:29 PM 10/15/2007, John Leslie wrote:
>
>> Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Whether your objective is to reduce carbon emissions because of
>> > global warming concerns or reduce dependence on fossil fuels that are
>> > increasingly in short supply, there is a real incentive to reduce
>> > energy use.
>> >
>> > If teleconferencing actually worked the need to hold face to face
>> > meetings would be reduced.
>>
>>    I am constantly surprised how little interest there is within IETF
>> for teleconferecing that works well.
>
> Indeed. I raised this point over the years. Even offering to pay a
> "remote attendance fee" if there were in fact the ability to see and
> hear sessions, and participate. The IETF for many years crowed about the
> Mbone connectivity as being innovative, but got stuck there, and didn't
> progress when comercial solutions bypassed that flawed technology.

I don't recall crowing about multicast.

I also don't recall you volunteering to show up and help enable remote
participation...

The volunteers built a model that was sustainable with a modest amount
of capital and time. both jabber and and streaming audio.

I respectfully suggest that if you put more in, you might get more out.

joelja