RE: NATs as firewalls

Nick Staff wrote:
> > From: michael.dillon@xxxxxx [mailto:michael.dillon@xxxxxx]
> > I still believe that the time is right for an IETF WG to define SOHO
> > gateway requirements for IPv6 networks because IPv4 wind-down will
> > cause
> > more people to take a serious look at how and why to deploy IPv6. One
> > single good idea in a SOHO gateway document could be enough to tip the
> > scales and make a business case for IPv6 services.
>
> You might be surprised to find how many network and IT managers think we
> already ran out of IPv4 addresses years ago, and how many more never
> thought
> about it at all.
>
> IT at most any non-technology company is still not seen as a revenue
> generating division and I doubt very little short of losing internet
> connectivity will be motivator enough to start thinking about the switch
> IPv6.  To me the problem with using "running out of IPv4 addresses" as a
> motivator is that what does that really mean?  Is the internet going to
> stop
> working?  Would anyone notice if not for the media?  Why should an
> established company care if their upstart competitor now has to wait 3
> years
> to get an internet presence?

That is where your logic train breaks down. You assume that the established
company would maintain the status-quo and the upstart would feel the pain.
The reality is more likely to be that the service provider is sitting on the
finite resource of a single address and will lease it to the highest bidder,
and the upstart is probably losing money anyway so a little more won't
matter. If the established company is sitting on a pile of PI space, they
are insulated from the initial round of bidding, but as awareness of the
resource shortage spreads there will be pressure from the short-term focused
management to sell off that resource for immediate financial gain, only to
force the organization into the bidding process down the road.

Don't assume that the status-quo for routing and addressing policy is the
one you will be living in once the IANA & RIR pools run dry.

Tony