RE: NATs as firewalls

bmanning@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:22:05AM -0000, michael.dillon@xxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > In any case, I don't have any examples to present since most of the
> > reclamation that has been done over the past few years was done
> without
> > any fanfare. The RIRs and the organizations involved are really the
> only
> > ones who know the details. Bill Manning was somehow involved in
> > identifying blocks to be reclaimed so he may be able to provide some
> > illumination without heat.
> >
> > --Michael Dillon
> >

> 	predating the existance of ARIN, LACNIC, and AFRINIC, i worked
> 	with the permission of the then IANA and our team reclaimed 14%
> 	of the total IPv4 space and put it back into the freepool. We
> 	could have done more (estimates of another 6-8% were feasable)
> 	but we ran out of funds and the IANA ceased being the registry
> 	of first/last resort.
>
> 	Time, processes, administrative thinking, and other factors
> 	have changed, which lead me to believe that reclaimation - as
> 	such - will not happen again to any noticable degree.
>
> --bill

Even if one made the effort to reclaim, we are already burning through ~1/2%
per month, and in a couple of years as we near the end of the 'Reserved'
pool that is likely to be over 1% per month. So take back an entire /8, what
are you going to do 2 weeks later? Find the financing to dredge up 10% (to
be generous), that didn't even get a full year of run rate. I agree with
Bill, it is just not worth the effort so whatever reclamation happens will
go unnoticed.

Tony