Re: Last Call: draft-iesg-sponsoring-guidelines (Guidance on Area Director Sponsoring of Documents) to Informational RFC

Frank,

> What I don't like in your draft is the (apparent) personal veto
> right for the AD.  Authors (hopefully) have an idea about their
> topic, but they don't need to be procedural experts.  They don't
> need to know what an "area" is, if it has a catchall WG or not,
> and who the area directors are if it has no such WG.

The draft says that if you do not know which AD to contact
you can talk to the Gen AD first. But any AD or even a fellow
IETFer would surely be glad to help with such matters, and
guide people towards the right WG / Area / AD.

In any case, at the end of the day there is going to be someone
who has to decide whether a particular proposal fits the purpose
of the WG, the IETF or the RFC series. This someone can be the
people in the WG, the sponsoring AD, the RFC Editor depending
on what kind of a submission we are talking about, but there
is always someone. And as Brian noted, if this someone misuses
their power for personal reasons or some other reason, we
have an appeals process. I'm not sure there's fundamentally
any other way to handle this. And for IETF documents, that
someone is just handling the beginning of the process and
the proposal has to go through more review from the
community.

Jari