Re: "Discuss" criteria

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:11:33 -0800
Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
>
> > There is perhaps one more aspect to "Can somebody explain ..." that
> > > is worth considering.  In some cases, the AD simply does not have
>
> Sure.  That could happen.  But it's not usually the case that an AD
> who knows that they don't understand something, holds a DISCUSS on a
> document for a long time, all the while getting useful responses and
> help from authors.  I sure wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Right.  The usual AD vote is "no objection", not "yes".  "No objection"
includes "I don't know enough to have a problem with this".  In such
cases, I looked at the parts I did understand -- that, of course,
included authentication and (if appropriate) confidentiality -- and
worried about those, and didn't worry nearly as much about arcana at
other levels.