Re: [narten@xxxxxxxxxx: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:45:17PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

> not in my recollection.  It's been awhile, but I recall pathalias being
> used to do source routing - given a hostname, to specify a complete
> path to that host.  (I also recall it sometimes being used to do
> rerouting - discarding the current source route and replacing it with
> one thought to be better.  It's also my recollection that the latter
> tended to cause routing loops and dropped messages.)
>
> I don't recall pathalias being used to replace a global
> location-independent identifer with an aggregatable global locator.
> UUCP didn't have any such beast.

Fair enough.  I was thinking of the rerouting hacks that would replace
UUCP bang paths with a shortcut routing using SMTP mail.  That was
fairly reliable, from my memory.  This probably isn't an exact analogy
for the aggregatable global locator that you were referring to, but it
had that effect, roughly speaking.

						- Ted