Re: [narten@xxxxxxxxxx: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> > > It smells remarkably like pathalias to me ;-)
> >
> > except that I'm not proposing that border routers do source routing,
> > just that they map from PI identifiers to PA locators and prepend a
> > header that causes the payload to be routed to the locator.
>
> And that sounds exactly like pathalias and what the Usenet/SMTP smart
> routers did, yes?

not in my recollection.  It's been awhile, but I recall pathalias being
used to do source routing - given a hostname, to specify a complete
path to that host.  (I also recall it sometimes being used to do
rerouting - discarding the current source route and replacing it with
one thought to be better.  It's also my recollection that the latter
tended to cause routing loops and dropped messages.)

I don't recall pathalias being used to replace a global
location-independent identifer with an aggregatable global locator.
UUCP didn't have any such beast.

> Hopefully though they wouldn't require as much CPU
> power to calculate as pathalias database required

pathalias was trying to add automatic routing to uucp.  we're already
doing routing in the internet, and I don't see how what's being
discussed here will increase the complexity of those computations over
what they already are.

as far as I can tell, we're talking about ways to make routing
computations _more_ efficient.   adding a layer of indirection that
hides locators from end networks should allow locators to be strictly
PA and even to be renumbered from time to time  without impacting users.

Keith