Re: IPv6 vs. Stupid NAT tricks: false dichotomy? (Was: Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

On 03/28/06 at 6:11am +0200, Anthony G. Atkielski <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Scott Leibrand writes:
>
> > NAT (plus CIDR) was the short-term solution, and is realistic as a
> > medium-term solution.  In the long term, though, I don't think it will be
> > the only solution.
>
> It will be if ISPs continue to charge for extra IP addresses, as they
> probably always will.

They can charge for IPv4 addresses because they're perceived to be scarce.
With IPv6 they may be able to charge for allowing me a /48 instead of a
/56 or /64, but IMO they won't be able to assign me a /128 by default and
charge me if I want a /64.

> > And if someday I want to switch to a new ISP who prefers not to give out
> > IPv4 addresses at all, that'll be fine with me, as long as my ISP provides
> > me IPv4 translation services to reach that portion of the Internet that is
> > still IPv4-only at that point.
>
> If your ISP charges you extra for more than one IPv6 address, what
> will you do?

Then I will switch ISPs.

ARIN guidelines specifically require ISPs to give out larger blocks when
requested.  If any ISPs try to be hard-nosed about it and give out /128's
anyway, it will be pretty easy to pressure & shame them sufficiently that
they'll feel it in the marketplace.

-Scott