Re: BitTorrent (Was: Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it)

On 09/15/2005 17:09 PM, Paul Hoffman allegedly wrote:
> At 1:50 PM -0700 9/15/05, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> Which is pretty much the elephant in the room, I'd say. How
>> much of the net traffic these days is, essentially, not in
>> any way standardized, and in fact probably considers ietf
>> old and in the way?
>
> Not sure why this is an elephant; who cares? I have seen numbers that
> show that a huge percentage of traffic is P2P of various flavors, but I
> haven't seen anyone saying that this is having any negative effects.

The metaphor I'm trying to use this week is that the IETF is
landscapers and we provide a fertile, beautiful area for people to go
wild and create excellent gardens.  What you're describing is not a
bug, it's feature.  It means the IETF have done their job.  If there
were interoperability problems in the fundamental and/or widespread
technologies being used in the Internet, then there would be a problem
(we're working on those).  Congratulations.

swb