Re: RFPs and IPv6

On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 01:37:46PM +0000,
"Livingood, Jason" <jason_livingood=40comcast.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (no hats) Isn’t this ultimately a market problem on some level?
> Meaning that if IPv6 delivered some indispensable features or
> capabilities to the cloud services marketplace, that the providers
> would comprehensively support it – rather than individual buyers
> pushing providers to support the protocol?

Individual buyers pushing vendors to support something by telling them
"we prefer to buy a product with this support" IS the market.  If buyers
don't change their buying behavior and don't pressure vendors, there's
no market influence.  Markets don't work through people judging what
reasons are legitimate for a buyer to base their preferences on, they
work through buyers having preferences for whatever reasons of their
own, however idiosyncratic they may be, and acting on those preference.

Are you really saying that the IETF is a special kind of buyer that
needs to remain "neutral" in some way, and NOT exert any market force,
even if the IETF does have preferences?

If that is what you're saying, what's the rationale for that?

Or, are you saying something else that I missed?
  -- Cos