Re: SMTP and IPv6

Hiya,

This topic now has multiple threads, so I'm just picking the
most subject form the most recent mail to respond on all of
this.

- It seems whomever made the call that it was ok to pick an
IPv4-only vendor (and hence drop IPv6) did not first ask the
community. That's a so-far unrecognised error. (And to be
clear: the error is in not realising that one really has to
ask that particular question first.)

- Assertions that mail is hard are easy and sometimes used to
dismiss valid concerns with "how things are." I think there
are many examples of medium-sized mall service providers doing
things well that get ignored all the time. I believe the thing
that is most relevantly hard is being as cost-effective as the
major providers, who often don't really provide a very good
service when it comes to the technicalities.

- I don't recall hearing there were issues with deliverability
of IETF email that were down to use of IPv6. So it seems the
high-order-bit was already fine when it comes to the facet
under discussion.

- I again assert that there is no need for the IETF to use a
"major" mail service provider. That'd mean no argument that starts
with "major providers don't do..." would be sufficient (i.e.
more is needed than only such an argument).

All in all, I think the LLC and IESG ought address this topic.

I also continue to conclude there's a bad smell to this - not
copping on that dropping IPv6 is something that needs to be
communicated well and justified etc. is surprisingly bad form
from very well-intentioned and knowledgeable folk.

Cheers,
S.