Re: draft-ecahc-moderation

Warren Kumari wrote on 22/06/2024 22:05:> I've written and deleted this email multiple times now — in theory this
should have made me very good at it, but I suspect the opposite is true.

You sound like you're jaded with the discussion. A lot of people are :(

I think that the approach in draft-ecahc-moderation is more complicated than it needs to be (and / or perhaps we need an additional process).

draft-ecahc-moderation looks reasonable. It delegates downwards, reports upwards, has an appeal mechanism and isn't overly prescriptive. These are all good things inside management of social constructs.

I think that we should just give the the IAB Chair, the LLC Chair, and the IESG Chair (acting together) the capability, and, more importantly, the responsibility, to perform emergency moderation (and, if necessary, banning), and make the "dealing with egregious behavior" their problem. This would be in addition to the current moderators, and would only be used in egregious cases.

This is the benign dictatorship model. No doubt about it, there's a lot going for it in terms of flexibility and the ability to react quickly, and appropriately if the right people are in the right place. The problem is, what do you do when the people entrusted with this responsibility start making decisions which significant numbers of people find unpalatable and where they don't back down. The options are usually to remove the people or change the process. Both would be significantly more complex to execute if the people in charge of moderation were also in charge of the IETF.

Scaling out an organisation means devolving responsibility. No-one ends with too much say about how the organisation operates. They should be entrusted with the responsibilities of their position, and the rights to act when appropriate. If/when there's a problem, they can be removed without affecting the operation of the rest of the organisation. What's outlined in draft-ecahc-moderation is one potential solution which fits these criteria.

Nick