Re: draft-ecahc-moderation

On 6/22/24 06:45, S Moonesamy wrote:

Hi Brian, All,
At 02:02 PM 12-06-2024, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I hope the moderators will excuse me Bcc'ing this message to the Last Call list in an attempt to switch discussion to the main IETF list.

I think we do indeed need to review moderation as a whole and pick a venue to discuss
draft-ecahc-moderation.

The objective of draft-ecahc-moderation is to create a moderator team for all IETF contribution channels.  The motivation is to deal with "disruptive behavior" (Section 3) given that the IESG-led process (authors' description) of PR-actions is viewed as ineffective.

If the problem is the following: "The IETF community has not been able to agree on a common definition of disruptive behavior.", the fix proposed by the authors would be to have the IETF community agree to the IETF Chair appointing some people to agree on some definition and be responsible for the implementation.  Such an approach caused a problem previously, if I am not mistaken.  The reaction to that was to prevent the IETF Chair from intervening in the day-to-day operation.

Many years ago, Russ informed this mailing list that he took a decision on a message which was posted to the list.  The list's participants were silent about that.  In my opinion, it was because people understood that it was what an IETF Chair may have do in such circumstances.

IMO, IESG, including the IETF Chair, need to get entirely out of the business of content policing and moderation.   That's very far from their core competence (which should be technical engineering more than social engineering), it's (hopefully) not what they're selected for by nomcoms, it's an unwelcome distraction, and it harms the IESG's ability to be seen as a fair arbiter of both rough consensus and technical decisions.

There is a need for some level of correction in response to inappropriate posts, probably up to and including even expulsion from all IETF activities in the most extreme of cases.   But IESG shouldn't be doing it, nor even setting policy.

Keith