Re: [Last-Call] Moderation in general [was Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action for Timothy Mcsweeney]

BTW, the draft has an issue tracker: https://github.com/larseggert/moderation/issues

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 14-Jun-24 08:51, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 14-Jun-24 06:02, Chris Box wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2024 at 18:34, Christian Huitema <huitema@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:huitema@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     The draft defines an IETF wide moderator team, which would then be
     tasked with defining a moderation policy and with proposing enforcement
     actions.

     The draft does not specify the number of moderators, except for saying
     "no less than 3". I think it should.

I'd also like draft-ecahc-moderation to be clearer on this, but I'm wary of hardcoding this up front.

Based on IETF list experience I would recommend a minimum of 5 people. This is based on a desire to have 3 of those to be available to discuss a case at the time it arises. But it will vary according the schedule of the individuals, and the size of the workload.

Sure. I think the "no less than 3" was with some thought about covering all time zones, but I'm sure more are needed in practice.

     It does not specify terms, or term limits, or processes for removing a
     member from the team. I think it should, if only because moderation is
     both a community service and a form of power. There are negative effects
     for anyone staying too long in a position of power. There is also a need
     make sure the moderators are independent, which is often ensured by
     specifying fixed terms with a documented recall procedure. Then there is
     a need to acquire experience, which implies terms should not be too
     short, and that there should be an overlap between new members and
     continuing members. Something like staggered 2 to 4 years terms come to
     mind.

Agree with all of that.

Certainly.

     The draft specifies that the moderators are appointed by the IETF chair,
     who would also be the first step in the appeal chain. I am not sure
     about that, because having a single source of appointment seems in
     contradiction with the required diversity. Panels of that nature are
     often appointed by multiple authorities. In our case, that might mean
     some by the IETF chair, some by the IAB chair, some by the IETF board.

Fair comment, but we also don't want too much complexity; we already have
lots of nomination/appointment mechanisms in the IETF universe.

Multiple appointing authorities sounds beneficial, but I don't have a strong opinion.

     I also wish there would be some way to formalize community input in the
     making of rules. Issues like insult and harassment may be obvious, but a
     lot of the disruption come in the form of nitpicking and prolonging
     discussions, leading to the hundred message threads that put off many
     outsiders. Yet, we don't want to stop well funded technical arguments,
     or set procedures to automatically discard such arguments as nitpicking.
     I don't think that the moderator team can easily decide the difference
     between "well funded technical argument" and "disruptive nitpicking". We
     need some kind of community process there.

But (as the terminology debate itself showed) that can get very messy in itself.

I definitely welcome community input to the guidelines and procedures.

     Finally, I am worried about reinforcing the influence of large
     corporations on the IETF. Each time we create new structures, we have to
     be worried about how we will recruit people to do that. If the task is
     onerous, volunteers will be hard to find. That leads to selecting from
     the pool of volunteers funded by their employers, which tends to be
     filled with employees of large corporations.

Yes the task can be onerous, but having a monthly paycheck doesn't make it less so. Having a larger moderator team would reduce the load.

And making clear that the first stage is done by WG Chairs, because that scales and a central team doesn't.

     Brian

Chris