Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community

Pete (mostly, but others too),

I've already made comments in one or two other messages that
overlap with the below, and will try to not repeat myself.  I
don't succeed, apologies in advance.

--On Saturday, March 23, 2024 09:29 -0700 Pete Resnick
<resnick=40episteme.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2024, at 8:48, Keith Moore wrote:

>>>   1. A WG Chair decides to allow an I-D to be added a day
>>>      before a meeting.
>>>
>>>   2. There isn't any complaint about the decision.
>>
>> A decision made a day before a meeting doesn't allow enough
>> time to  see whether there would be complaints.
>
> Completely agree with Keith that making these decisions at the
> last minute is not acceptable.
>
> But where I disagree with John is with the notion that these
> artificial rules and procedures address the issue in any
> meaningful way. Insofar as there are groups that are "too
> homogenous and resistant to 'outsider' views and input" (and I
> don't doubt there are some), that's a cultural problem. It's
> caused by chairs who are not sufficiently sensitive to the
> issue (or the ADs appointing them), or the charter not being
> clear about bringing in the right amount of well-rounded
> input, or chairs who are not pushing back on their WGs, or an
> IESG or IAB not paying attention and giving appropriate
> guidance, or other similar possible causes. A relatively
> arbitrary rule or procedure that throws up a road block for a
> train that's already drifting off the rails doesn't do much.
> At best, it's simply an annoyance, a barrier that folks will
> simply route around or plow through; at worst, it makes things
> worse by removing responsibility from chairs to make
> thoughtful decisions.

Hmm.  I don't think I'm looking for either significantly more
complexity or more (or even continuing) "artificial rules and
procedures".    While I mostly agree with your comment below
(more there), I am trying to address what I see is today's
reality.  That reality, at least from my perspective, includes:

* ADs, or at least many of them, are overextended and at least
some don't monitor their WGs, read their mailing lists, etc.,
regularly.  Whether that is good or not is part of the broader,
cultural, problem to which you refer.

* That said, I don't believe I have run into a single AD in the
last many years who does not care.    If alerted to an issue,
they will try to deal with it even if the constraints of time
just turn that into a brief discussion with WG chairs or maybe
other ADs.   On the other hand, many of them, like many of the
rest of us, don't particularly like surprises -- if there is
going to be a problem, or even a claim of a problem, they would
prefer to see it coming.

* So I am suggesting that we establish (or, from my perspective,
reaffirm) the principle that having documents, meeting agendas
and materials, schedules for interims, etc., available (and in
some way announced) to the community well ahead of a meeting is
the Right Thing to Do.   For the reason Michael Richardson gave
recently, that principle even applies to WGs that do not meet at
a given IETF meeting.  But I see it as a principle, not a rule.
On the other hand, if we don't believe in that principle, I not
only don't see any reason for a document to be posted more than
a few minutes before the discussion of it begins, I don't see
any reason for a WG agenda to be posted before the WG meeting
starts: after all, it can be displayed on a slide and the WG
given a minute or two to propose changes.  That does leave out
someone considering whether to attend the meeting, especially in
the case where they are trying to choose which of two meetings
in the same slot to attend but, if they were participating
actively in both WGs, they should be able to figure it out.  See
my recent note to Keith and SM about the even broader principles
and Keith's explanation about who is affected.

* I think the combination of those three things suggests that,
in many cases, it is helpful to at least some of those
overworked ADs if they are notified -- even if there should be
an expectation that they be notified -- when the boundaries of
that principle are pushed.  If an AD wants to tell a particular
WG chair "I trust you, don't bother me with such notifications",
or even to say that to all of their WGs, I think I'm ok with
that although it would not make me happy.  I'd hope information
about such decisions (and, ideally the discussions) would be
available to the community and to the next relevant Nomcom in
particular, but that is getting close to a detail.

** Note that nothing above comes close to a rule, artificial or
not, and certainly not a quick patch or fix.  The last comment
is just a reflection of another principle, which is that ADs
should have at least some general ideas of what their WGs are
doing.  If we are dropping that one, then your comments about
culture should extend to AD job descriptions.

So...

> If the culture of the organization is shifting away from
> principles that many of us think are core and foundational,
> that stinks. Shifting back to those principles is hard and
> takes serious conversations and work. Quick "fixes" (that I
> don't think do much fixing) aren't the way.

Again, we agree on that too, perhaps as a meta-principle.  In
that context, my comments above might be considered a start on
the serious conversations and shifting back that you suggest.
Perhaps that is hopeless without the broad community recognition
of a serious problem (and/or bad stink) that was prerequisite to
post-Kobe meltdown and reforms of circa 30 years ago.  Without
taking a position on them, I've been part of a few discussions
in recent months in which it has been suggested that several
recent IESG and other "leadership" positions imply that they (as
a group) are even more isolated from, and insensitive to, the
day-to-day work of the community than the IAB was then but that
they are much better at protecting themselves from successful
and significant reforms.  If that were to be true, than the
conversations and work you are looking for are unlikely if not
impossible.

So, constructive suggestion time as I try to back of from the
discussion in this thread because I think I'm getting past the
point of having anything useful to say (there is one more, 3/4
complete, note that I might decide to post so please no attacks
for not stopping here).   Pete, since you posted the first (at
least IMO) statement of why we should be focusing on principles
rather than arbitrary rules or procedures, would you be willing
to either  (i) Suggest a way to organize and start that
discussion that could be used to start a discussion with the
IESG or (ii) Make a list of those core and foundational
principles that seem to be in doubt or having evolved to take on
a bad odor, again as a starting point for a discussion with the
IESG?   If you choose the latter and would like to put together
an informal discussion or design team to get things started, I'd
be happy to be asked to participate but not too unhappy if not.

If the answer is "yes", I'd like to suggest a not-arbitrary
deadline.  My recollection is that the IESG usually holds a
retreat a few months after being seated.  I have not idea
whether that is in this year's plan or, if so, where it fits on
the schedule, but it seems to me that it would be good to have
one or both of the above available to them before the retreat.
That is important because, if the conclude at the retreat is
that this is not worth doing, that there there is no time to do
it, or that they don't have time to even discuss it, then there
is no point making a further investment and those of us who, in
your words, think that things stink should either get used to
the odor and stop whining about it or figure out better ways to
spend our time, convincing employers and sponsors of that if
needed.

If your answer is "no" and no one with equal credibility steps
forward, or if it looks like [re-]establishing those core and
foundational principles is likely to take a really long time
(especially if some practices and/rules must then be derived
from them) then I suggest that some pragmatism about practices
and guidelines may be appropriate.  That pragmatism would, I
hope, match to two extremely general principles.  One is the
notion of openness and transparently about what the IETF does
and its decisions and decision-making processes.  The other is
that every decision or action taken by or in the name of the
IETF should rest on some process or other foundation that is
ultimately accountable to the community.  "Ultimately
accountable" is deliberately vague but is probably impossible
without openness and transparency... and it may be just my
long-winded but ultimately equivalent version of Dave Clark's
observation about rejecting kings, presidents, etc.,
observations that were very much part of the reforms of 30 years
ago that instantiated the core and foundational principles to
which you refer in our present organizational structure and
practices (or at least its predecessors)

best,
   john