Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

--On Sunday, 15 October, 2023 20:10 +0200 Carsten Bormann
<cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2023-10-15, at 16:44, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> given a weekly posting that,
>> with some interruptions, has been occurring for a decade or
>> more (Ole's estimate; I'd guess much more)
>
> Since 2006-01-26, to be exact.

Thanks.  I was obviously too lazy to dig through the archives.
But, a very long time as these things go.  Possibly also worth
noting that Thomas stepped down as Internet AD only the prior
March.

> Tom introduced the first message of the series with:
>
>> [note: I find this type of summary to be a useful tool for
>> highlighting certain aspects of list traffic. With Brian
>> Carpenter's blessing, I plan on making this a regular feature
>> for the ietf list.]
>
> (Brian Carpenter was IETF chair from 2005 to 2007.)
>
> There were two responses, both from people who (17+ years
> later) I believe weren't exactly enthused about the
> additional transparency this created.

So, reaching back to Rob's comment about community consensus:
Thomas asked Brian, Brian apparently didn't see its being worth
a large fuss (he can speak for himself on that), Thomas asked
the list, there were only two responses that were "not exactly
enthused", someone -- Thomas, Brian, the IESG -- concluded there
was not enough opposition to justify a fuss, and the postings
started and continued.  That is certainly consistent with how we
did things 18 or so years ago... not requiring I-Ds or even
formal consensus calls when some thing appeared to be reasonable
and not very controversial.   Claiming "no community consensus"
would be a stretch for this and any number of other decisions
that were made at the same time.

Did it create additional transparency?  Hard to know either then
or now: the answer, IMO at least, depends on far more careful
analysis of what those numbers actually told us then... and
about what they tell us now when far more discussions that would
have occurred on the IETF list then (including, e.g., the tools,
admin-discuss, and EODIR (and its predecessors) lists as well as
the Last Call one and some discussions leading to BOFs).  But I
don't see anyone with the needed energy and, ideally,
statistically trained skepticism, volunteering to put the time
in.     That doesn't, IMO, make the postings useless or harmful
but it does suggest that we should be careful about
over-interpreting it, much less (as has been pointed out
repeatedly) using it as a tool to shame and/or shut down
discussions.

Do we need more protection against misuse of the postings?
Maybe but that is, at least IMO, definitely part of the broader
issues that Stephen has suggested was should be looking at more
seriously.

> Disclaimer: I'm also very specifically part of the (mostly
> silent) consensus that has supported receiving these weekly
> messages since 2006, with a gap until JohnL filled it again.

And I'm part of the (mostly silent) consensus who have been
happy to see those postings continue because some people
indicate they find them useful and we have see little harm to
anyone else.  If I said anything 17+ years ago (can't remember
and, if I did, whether it was on a public list or a note to
Thomas and/or Brian), that would have been, approximately, it.
Whether that could be construed as "not enthused about
additional transparence" is another question entirely.

best,
   john