Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

On 14/10/2023 23:50, Rob Sayre wrote:
I have no problem with the bot's mails. I do have a problem with those
being complained about as if they were a significant problem.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion, but you did not get IETF
consensus, did you?

Bot emails are banned by the list charter in any reasonable reading.

Good illustration of what I think is worth discussing here.
(We should probably change the subject line at some stage
unless we tire of the topic.)

My perception of this thread:

- There is no *significant* problem (with the bot mails).
- People who I guess prefer not seeing general chit-chat
  on our mailing lists perceive a problem (with the bot
  mails).
- Some of those people complain with a view to perfecting
  the universe (perfection I guess having no bot mails;-)

Those complaints IMO lack balance and tolerance.

I think that's a pattern that's been repeatedly seen in
recent years.

I think that pattern overall damages rather than improves
how people interested in IETF topics communicate.

I don't at all question the bona-fides of anyone involved.

More balance and tolerance of different opinions would be
better I think.

S.