Re: [Last-Call] [babel] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-04

Gotcha, then text in Security Considerations sounds like a fine path forward to me.

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 22:27, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Uh-huh.  I could be wrong, but I think that Shivan is merely requesting
>> that we should mention the issue somewhere.  Which I agree with.

> I might be missing something, but the introduction of this document says that
> one of the motivating factors is that VPNs and tunnels can mess up routing and
> RTT calculation helps with that. Are we not talking about end-users' VPNs?

The main application are tunnels and VPNs that are building blocks for
overlay networks.  The overlay networks are part of the provider's
infrastructure, and in some deployments the location of the routers is no
more secret than the location of any other infrastructure router.

(The main deployment is the backbone of Nexedi's distributed cloud.
Nexedi originally intended to deploy their cloud over the public IPv6
Internet, but found it too unreliable.  For the last 10 years, they have
been routing their in-cloud traffic using Babel over a fairly dense
overlay network, and they're very happy with the solution.)

However, there are other deployments, and some of those are intended to
escape internet censorship, so your concerns are certainly justified.

-- Juliusz