Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-calext-jscontact-07

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 2:59 AM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023, at 10:28 PM, Rob Sayre wrote:
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 2:57 AM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
it's important to come to a good conclusion with internationalizations and URIs

It might make sense to treat it as an eventuality. If the spec takes off, people will start using the JSON without bothering to map it to vCard. So, maybe just say it's undefined.

We can't leave it undefined, we must describe how to convert between vCard and JSContact (both because of the calext working group charter and for practical reasons).

Unfortunately, none of my questions around IRIs have been addressed. Also, I am not aware of a general IETF recommendation what to choose for new standards.

As it currently stands, we will keep requiring URIs be set in JSContact. Applications still can represent such URIs differently, but they must convert IRIs to URIs before setting them in JSContact.

OK, this outcome doesn't bother me. The reason I suggested leaving it explicitly undefined is because people are definitely going to do this, since it's a lot easier to do in JSON than in vCard. That does not mean this spec needs to support that stuff, but it's going to happen if it becomes popular.

thanks,
Rob