Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-calext-jscontact-07

On Tue, Jul 4, 2023, at 8:52 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On 4. Jul 2023, at 08:47, Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The "dir" attribute just contains the equivalent markup for Unicode sequences such as RLI ... PDI. Any text in JSContact is a UTF-8 encoded string which can contain the Unicode Bidi_Control code points, so there is no need for markup.

That is certainly one way to do this.
So you assume all RTL text contains these sequences?  You maybe should say so.

I do not assume that, it's up to implementations if they add those sequences and render them accordingly. That's not different than with any other Unicode sequences. We only added a reference to TR-9 because we got asked during review about bidirectional text. Maybe explicitly mentioning this part of Unicode brings up more confusion, and we might rather highlight instead that text may be any valid UTF-8 encoded Unicode.

How do these sequences compose, e.g., when building a name from its components?

The document recommends to concatenate the components string values in order. That should work fine with properly beginning and ending formatting characters.