Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-calext-jscontact-07

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:45 PM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2023, at 7:32 PM, Rob Sayre wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 7:15 AM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1.6.2. URIs

Several properties require their string value to be a URI as defined in [RFC3986]. Implementations MUST make sure to use proper percent-encoding for URIs that can not be represented using unreserved URI characters. JSContact makes no recommendation how to display such URIs, but section "4.8.3 Internationalization and special characters" of the W3C URL Standard [W3C-URL] provides guidance for URLs found in context of a web browser.

OK, but this section still needs to cover IDNs, right? Must the domain be in be punycode? That's what I assume, but I'm not sure you want that. Example: http://ああ.com

I don't think it needs to cover IDNs, as the valid syntax of a URI is defined in RFC 3986 section 3, for the http URI scheme specifically in RFC 9110 section 4.2. Neither specifications mention RFC 3429 (Punycode) as a reference.

Does "http://ああ.com" match that grammar? (no)

I am wary of restating too many requirements in the JSContact RFC for which other RFCs are authorative: there's always the risk of getting it wrong. That especially applies to DNS: https://rfc-annotations.research.icann.org.

I am not trying to be difficult here. I think your document is too strict, since the URL fields are delimited by JSON constructs.

thanks,
Rob