Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-calext-jscontact-07

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 2:57 AM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 1, 2023, at 9:05 AM, Rob Sayre wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:45 PM Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am wary of restating too many requirements in the JSContact RFC for which other RFCs are authorative: there's always the risk of getting it wrong. That especially applies to DNS: https://rfc-annotations.research.icann.org.

I am not trying to be difficult here.

I don't think you are, I appreciate all your comments! I also agree it's important to come to a good conclusion with internationalizations and URIs, so we should take time for that.

It might make sense to treat it as an eventuality. If the spec takes off, people will start using the JSON without bothering to map it to vCard. So, maybe just say it's undefined.

I find that people tend to expect support for anything that is automatically linked and highlighted in GMail or Twitter etc. That doesn't include every IRI, but it's a lot more than what's in the URI spec. It is unsatisfying and underspecified, but that's how it is. Then, they add new emoji characters every year, because that actually makes people upgrade. Those are only valid in UTS-46 IDNs, but the characters will appear in any text field.

thanks,
Rob