Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

On 9/9/23 14:50, Donald Eastlake wrote:

But the whole "limiting the bandwidth" idea, I think, is assuming
the wrong goal for IETF.   IETF's goal should not be to produce as
many RFCs as quickly as possible.  (And I wish it would stop trying
to cite the number of RFCs as any indication of merit.)  IETF's goal
should instead be to produce the documents within its scope, that
are needed most by the Internet community, ensuring that they have
been developed with input from a broad range of interest, are
technically sound, and produce them quickly enough so that those
documents can serve as useful input to their audiences.
While I generally agree with the above, you also have to factor in, to
some extent, for what documents there are volunteers willing to work on
that document.

Absolutely.  But volunteers are already scarce, producing even more documents doesn't seem like the answer.

Keith