Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

On 9/9/23 13:46, Toerless Eckert wrote:

Having been in NomCom twice, i continue to be annoyed by how much
singular importance is being placed on TSV ADs having to be experts
on (TCP) end-to-end congestion control.

I suspect this results from having to defend against countless naive proposals from people who didn't understand how congestion control works or how vital it is in IP networks.

I think experiments such as fully proxying AD review to senior directorate
members would help to improve process.

If the AD isn't already an expert in the technologies, they have a difficult time evaluating who is qualified to be a "senior directorate member".   Also, the AD is the one who has to be responsible for the decision to approve or DISCUSS a document. "proxying" such review to someone who hasn't accepted any responsibility, and who isn't subject to any pushback for poor decisions (or worse), seems like a fundamental violation of process.   So no, while I recognize the huge burden that's placed on ADs by the current process, I don't think your suggestion, as stated, is an improvement.

In general it's difficult enough to get enough qualified volunteers to be WG participants, much more difficult to get qualified volunteers who are qualified to review their work.  (And "qualified" means not only having the requisite technical expertise, but also being held in respect by the wider community, and not favor one party's interests over another.)

Keith