Re: The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Andrew Newton <andy@xxxxxx>
Sent: 23 August 2023 16:05

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 3:28 AM Vasilenko Eduard
<vasilenko.eduard=40huawei.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear IETF Police,
> If you would continue to ban HTML then please do it in a more specific way:
> 1. Reject the message (with sender notification).
> Or
> 2. Convert it to text (with some information lost).
> The current way (the chair should release/reject the message manually) is for sure the worst method to ban technology, automation is very needed.
> RFC on "IETF HTML banning rules" would be good to have because it is a way to have a "consensus".

I don't think outright rejecting or converting emails is a good idea.

That said, we could run an experiment to see if our culture can be shaped by
writing down a set of conventions for email we can ask participants to use.

<tp>

FYI 28

Tom Petch

We could even experiment with autoresponders that remind users to use those
conventions if they send email in contravention of them.

-andy