The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

Hi,

I'd like to take a slightly different approach, and hence
have moved this from tools-discuss because it's not (just)
a tools issue.

We have an ongoing disaster that is making email much less  effective for the IETF and we aren't talking about it.

- There's the old story about top-posting vs in-line comments.
(Too make your life harder, this message does both, although
IMHO top-posting should be used rarely, mainly for changes of
tack like this one. In-line comments are almost always better
in an ongoing conversation.)

- Flowed vs line-wrapped.
(For many years everybody wrapped their messages at about
column 72, or even less. These days, we have an unholy
mixture of wrapped and flowed text with no obvious pattern and it makes long discussions harder and harder as they go on and on and on, and is compounded by the next problems.)

- Monospaced fonts vs variable width.
(For many years everybody used monospace and it was common to
include ASCII art in emails. Today, that's essentially broken.
I've also seen messages where apparently there were tables
that have been converted to a variable-width font but of course
don't line up at all in the receivers MUA.)

- Different mechanisms for quoting.
(For many years, a simple ">" at the start of each quoted
line did the job, and quoted quoted quotes
looked like this.
But now we seems to see multiple quoting methods
depending on which MUA is operating. There's also a
nasty interaction between CRLF and LF line endings
that sometimes affects quoting
in a weird way.
)

- And of course some people insist on sending HTML mail
and assume that the result will be legible and
comprehensible despite the fact that they use colours
and fonts and font sizes that are unsuitable for many
readers and/or their MUAs. A conversation that consists
of a mixture of plain text and HTML messages rapidly
becomes a swamp.

Are we going to tackle this mess?

(Some more in-line comments below.)