Re: The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

It appears that Andrew Newton  <andy@xxxxxx> said:
>That said, we could run an experiment to see if our culture can be shaped by
>writing down a set of conventions for email we can ask participants to use.

Seems to me that we have found that a lot of us have already decided what the
right conventions are, in many mutually exclusive ways.

I also get the impression that a lot of us have never run a mail
system. A recent note suggested sending an auto-nag message to people
who sent mail that was wrongly formatted in some way. If we did that,
people getting the autonag will mark it as junk, because that's what
it is, and we would soon start finding all of the IETF's mail in spam
folders in large mail systems. Then we would have a round of flamage
saying how stupid users at Gmail and/or Gmail itself are. So let's
not.

Other than perhaps modestly increasing the max message size in some
lists, I haven't seen anything proposed that is likely to make a
difference, much less a positive one.

R's,
John