Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

My reply was a bit ad hom. I apologise. You're coming here in good faith.

Several people have written to me to say I mis-characterise the IWF but in accepting that, I think the fundamental contradiction between legislated constraints on privacy and what IETF has said informs protocol development remains.

IWF has roles in dealing with a substantive problem, and takes positions on encryption, advising and informing government. When it takes positions, advocates, that confronts advocacy from this community.

There's a case to be made some IETF advocacy positions are naive.  In holding to the principle we're here as individuals I'm not blind to the influence my associations and employment brings to bear.

George