Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

On 7/27/23 16:08, Rob Sayre wrote:

I do not think the onus is on the IETF here. Input from anyone is welcome, of course.

I guess I think the onus is on all parties to engage in a constructive way.

("constructive" sounds better to me than "civil" or "reasonable", but is probably no less ambiguous)

I see nobody arguing that CSAM is good.   But when people use such an emotion-laden issue as CSAM to argue for a global surveillance regime, it's a little difficult to take such input as constructive.

Still, it's necessary to explain why pervasive surveillance is a bad idea, why a network that is full of content pattern detectors is a bad idea, and so on...   and to keep doing so from time to time.   The parties trying to impose the surveillance regime are patient, take the long view, and realize that time is on their side.

Keith