long live email (was Re: The death of e-mail)

On 4/13/23 11:54, tom petch wrote:

And Microsoft seem to have just taken that idea to heart by driving a series of stakes into the coffin, lest the zombie come back to life.

When I got an e-mail this morning, purportedly from Microsoft (my ESP) telling me that they were going to 'improve security' by abolishing POP I thought it was spam.  But hard as I look, I cannot see any flaw in the e-mail headers and am driven to conclude that it is genuine (even if quite off the wall).  On the other hand, five years ago, Microsoft set about killing this off with the removal of its well-designed, easy-to-use, productive-to-use MUA, something my ability to get work done in the context of the IETF has never recovered from, hard as I try to overcome the obstacles thus created.

Now my ability to get work done will be reduced further, due in no small part to the deficiencies of the web service offered.

And in some ways I have never recovered from being 'sold' from the ESP of my choice to ... well, one that is not of my choice, forcing me to use functions that I have no wish to.  But given the time, effort and problems from changing domain then, I have zero enthusiasm for another change of domain although that might be the most productive route.

There are plenty of words that come to mind; I hope that I have edited them out of this e-mail because none are suitable for this list.

Tom Petch

(not specifically directed towards Tom...)

I like to vent as much as anybody, but it seems to me that unless it leads to a discussion for how to improve the situation, it's a distraction at best.

I don't see any emerging viable replacement for email, for IETF and similar kinds of discussions.   Everything else that people use for messaging is far worse in nearly every respect.

Instant messaging is a disaster for globally scoped discussions because it's designed to facilitate real-time communications, and also designed to work on mobile devices, so it omits or discards information that's needed for a reader at some later date to establish context needed to understand the discussion.

Nonstandard messaging products generally lack archiving capability or produce such archives in nonstandard formats.

Almost everything except email all-but-forces vendor lockin which is inappropriate for an open standards-making body.   (Email only avoids this because people can get their own DNS names and move them from one ESP to another, which I've been doing for decades. Granted, however, this is currently a bit too difficult and/or costly for most ordinary users.)

Keith