Re: [Last-Call] [dhcwg] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-opsawg-add-encrypted-dns-10

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 10:23 PM <mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Med] What is actually more important in this para is the part in
> [...]. That text is there to provide an example of when the
> attributes can be present in CoA-Request.

I have no problem with that part, and I didn't mean it's less important than
the use of DHCPv6 Reconfigure by omitting that part.

> [Med] These considerations are specific to the dhcp options that
> will be carried in the RADIUS attribute. The security considerations
> (including issues with the use of reconfigure) fall under this part:

>>  Security considerations specific to the DHCP options that are carried
>>  in RADIUS are discussed in relevant documents that specify these
>>  options.

Do you specifically mean draft-ietf-add-dnr-13?  I first expected that
while reviewing draft-ietf-opsawg-add-encrypted-dns and checked it,
but it didn't discuss anything about DHCPv6 Reconfigure.  That's one
reason why I raised the point in my review.

>From your response, I'd suggest:
- Describe the DHCP part of reconfigure operation in more detail in
  draft-ietf-add-dnr (including whether to use Reconfigure message in
  the first place), and/or
- Remove the reference to DHCPv6 reconfigure from
  opsawg-add-encrypted-dns and just say something like "How the DHCPv6
  server uses the new encrypted DNS resolver information is out of
  scope of this document."

> [Med] I also hesitated, but MAY is not used here as this does not
> impact interop. I had to reread Sections 5/6 of RFC2119 regularly
> for may/MAY.

I don't object here.

> [Med] The use of normative language is justified here because we
> don't want the RADIUS servers to blindly pass data. What this text
> says is that the attributes should not be seen as opaque data by the
> RADIUS server but it should understand the encoding of the enclosed
> options.

Hmm, I didn't read it that way.  If that's the intent (and if I
understand it correctly), "For ease of administrator configuration"
especially sounds awkward, since it seems to say the purpose of this
requirement is better UX.  Again, assuming I understand the intent
correctly, I'd suggest something like this:

  The RADIUS server SHOULD reject a configuration attempt of including
  a DHCP option in a DHCP*-Options RADIUS attribute if the server does
  not understand that DHCP option and its format.

--
jinmei