Re: [Last-Call] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-opsawg-add-encrypted-dns-10

Hi Tatuya,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] What is actually more important in this para is the part in [...]. That text is there to provide an example of when the attributes can be present in CoA-Request.

 The NAS
>    replaces the old encrypted DNS resolver information with the
> new one
>    and sends a DHCPv6 Reconfigure message which leads the DHCPv6
> client
>    to initiate a Renew/Reply message exchange with the DHCPv6
> server.
>
> I suspect the use of Reconfigure is not always feasible. A
> Reconfigure message needs to be authenticated (per RFC8415), and
> the only available method for the authentication is the
> Reconfiguration Key Authentication Protocol. But this protocol is
> weak in that a shared secret first needs to be sent from the
> server to the client in plain text. It may be justifiable in the
> intended use case (between a CPE and NAS, and the communication
> path between them can be considered reasonably protected), but I
> believe such considerations should be described explicitly,
> either/both in this section or/add in Section 6.
>
> Now, I'm not sure if such an update operation is an integral part
> of this draft. If it's considered to be a minor case (e.g. the
> information is mostly static and periodic renew would suffice), or
> the matter of updates itself is mostly out of scope of this doc,
> then my comment on this point is also minor.
> On the other hand, if it's important to describe how such an
> update works with this RADIUS extension, then I'd regard it as a
> DISCUSS level issue.  And, in the latter case, I believe DHCPv4-
> specific considerations on the same point should be included, too.

[Med] These considerations are specific to the dhcp options that will be carried in the RADIUS attribute. The security considerations (including issues with the use of reconfigure) fall under this part:

   Security considerations specific to the DHCP options that are carried
   in RADIUS are discussed in relevant documents that specify these
   options.

> The following are other (possible) issues I found with this
> document that may need be addressed before publication (I don't
> necessarily think these SHOULD be
> "corrected"):
>
> (All of these are about Section 3)
>
> - I wonder whether the two "may"s in this text need to be
> normative "MAY"s.
>
>    RADIUS implementations may support a configuration parameter to
>    control the DHCP options that can be included in a DHCP*-
>    RADIUS attribute.  Likewise, DHCP server implementations may
> support
>    a configuration parameter to control the permitted DHCP options
> in a
>    DHCP*-Options RADIUS attribute.

[Med] I also hesitated, but MAY is not used here as this does not impact interop. I had to reread Sections 5/6 of RFC2119 regularly for may/MAY.

> - This "SHOULD" looks awkward to me. While it's a nice suggestion
> for implementers, it doesn't affect interoperability.  I'd suggest
> making it a non-normative recommendation.
>
>    For ease of administrator configuration, the RADIUS server
> SHOULD
>    expose the DHCP options and allow administrators to configure
> them,
>    instead of requiring them to be entered as opaque data.

[Med] The use of normative language is justified here because we don't want the RADIUS servers to blindly pass data. What this text says is that the attributes should not be seen as opaque data by the RADIUS server but it should understand the encoding of the enclosed options. Thanks.

Thank you.