Re: [Last-Call] [dhcwg] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-opsawg-add-encrypted-dns-10

Hi Tatuya,

Thank you for the follow-up.

We submitted a new version to address your review: https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-add-encrypted-dns-11.

Please see inline for more context, fwiw.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] OK. Added a reminder of where to find dhcp-related security issues with a specific RFC for reconfigured-specific issues (RFC6977).

> > [Med] I also hesitated, but MAY is not used here as this does
> not
> > impact interop. I had to reread Sections 5/6 of RFC2119
> regularly for
> > may/MAY.
>
> I don't object here.
>
> > [Med] The use of normative language is justified here because we
> don't
> > want the RADIUS servers to blindly pass data. What this text
> says is
> > that the attributes should not be seen as opaque data by the
> RADIUS
> > server but it should understand the encoding of the enclosed
> options.
>
> Hmm, I didn't read it that way.  If that's the intent (and if I
> understand it correctly), "For ease of administrator
> configuration"
> especially sounds awkward, since it seems to say the purpose of
> this requirement is better UX.  Again, assuming I understand the
> intent correctly, I'd suggest something like this:
>
>   The RADIUS server SHOULD reject a configuration attempt of
> including
>   a DHCP option in a DHCP*-Options RADIUS attribute if the server
> does
>   not understand that DHCP option and its format.

[Med] Thanks. We went with a more elaborated version to better explain the intent and call out the constraints:

NEW:
   RADIUS servers have conventionally tolerated the input of arbitrary
   data via the "string" data type (Section 3.5 of [RFC8044]).  This
   practice allows RADIUS servers to support newer standards without
   software upgrades, by allowing administrators to manually create
   complex attribute content and, then, to pass that content to a RADIUS
   server as opaque strings.  While this practice is useful, it is
   RECOMMENDED that RADIUS servers that implement the present
   specification are updated to understand the format and encoding of
   DHCP options.  Administrators can, thus, enter the DHCP options as
   options instead of manually-encoded opaque strings.  This
   recommendation increases security and interoperability by ensuring
   that the options are encoded correctly.  It also increases usability
   for administrators.

> --
> jinmei

Thank you.