Re: IETF e-mail junked

On 21/12/2022 12:59, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Hiya,

On 21/12/2022 10:15, tom petch wrote:
This month there has been a marked increase in the amount of IETF
e-mail that my ESP classifies as junk

I've not noticed any change in recent months.

I did see a major change >1 year ago when our CS dept email
switched from being self-hosted (when things were fine in
this respect) to using one of the largest service providers
(msft, similar to btconnect.com it seems) since when I get
5-10 valid mails from lists classified as phishes every day
with apparently no way to allow-list the sending lists.

The worst part of this is the "nothing can/will be done"
aspect, so if anyone has any idea how to light a fire under
some relevant outlook person, I'd appreciate that hint.

More than similar, identical I think, that btconnect.com is just a trading name of msft (as a result of commercial transactions). Originally, btconnect.com was set up for business use, for those who would pay more for something reliable and dependable (like me).

For me, this change is very much of a week or two ago, with every RFC announcement now seen as junk which was never (?) the case previously. November 2019 was the last big change I saw, when the capability of the MUA was downgraded to the point of almost uselessness and as a result of which my ability to constribute to the IETF was reduced. That was an unannounced change which eventually was almost admitted to by the ESP.

I am now looking at e-mail headers hoping to see a difference in what amsl does but suspect that the change is something I am not seeing. I realise that I can logon to the ESP website and see all the 'junk' but I see that as exposing an attack surface for others to acquire and exploit my personal information (not that I see that as the reason why whatever has changed has changed).

Tom Petch

Cheers,
S.

PS: I don't think naming and shaming is unfair here as
``dig mx cs.tcd.ie`` tells all anyway.

which means that I cannot retrieve it with an MUA and that it will be
discarded in three weeks time.  Since my ESP is one of the larger
ones, I imagine that others among the 55,000 will be affected

Every RFC announcement from the RFC Editor is junk.
The headers thereof I see show spf=pass dmarc=none action=none,

Most announcements from the IAB Executive Admnistrative Manager are junk

Some posts to the ARCHD list are junk

Some posts to other WG lists are junk including one I made in response
to a thread.

Something has changed, either in the headers that the IETF is putting
on its e-mails or in the criteria that the ESP uses to classify
e-mail, I would think.  The chances of the ESP doing anything helpful
(for a paying customer) I would rate as nil.

Certainly the ESP website has changed.  It used to give me the option
of 'Do not classify anything from this sender as junk' and that option
seems to have gone.

I have always had a level of false positives for junk and my feedback
is always ignored.  Usually, the junk is an e-mail from an unfamiliar
name about and unfamiliar topic, sometimes several from the same
person but junking the RFC Editor and the IAB take this to a new level.

Thoughts?

Tom Petch