Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 10/15/22 09:34, John C Klensin wrote:

Ok, but your suggested language / convention does not convey
that directly.  I could be a code for that message, which would
be fine except that I don't think we should be speaking in coded
language.  If nothing else, it is likely to deter newcomers,
including newcomers who are not problematic in any way, from
participating.   If Participant A wants Participant B
(presumably the source of the idea or message to which
Participant A wants to convey "I respectfully disagree..." to
get the message without knowing the code, they might need to say
something slightly more explicit such as "I respectfully
disagree that this is a good idea and will not continue the
conversation, at least unless you or others introduce some new
ideas or reasoning."

Sure.   Mostly I was proposing an idea, rather than trying to suggest exact language to use.

But there is a drawback to being more explicit, which is that it appears to continue the conversation even while ostensibly trying to not do that.   There's an inherent conflict between wanting to end a conversation, and insisting on having the last word.

Keith