Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

--On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 09:58 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/12/22 09:31, John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that there are two nearly separate issues here.
>>
>> One has to do with whether the threshold for particular
>> language being considered bad behavior is lower than it was a
>> few years, or a decade or more, ago.  "Lower threshold", in
>> that context, means that some words or phrases that would
>> have been tolerated without comment then are treated as
>> problems now.  I think the answer to that question is clearly
>> "yes".
>
> I actually disagree that this is at all clear.

Really?  Do you believe that we are as tolerant of "bad"
language and abusive comments than we were a decade ago?   Even
some of the documents and statements that have been cited
recently as expressing community norms and justifying pushback
have at least implied "regardless of what was tolerated in the
past, this needs to stop".

As Masataka pointed out earlier in this thread, comments he made
some time ago drew little notice while making substantially the
same comments today invites intervention from the Moderator
team.

So either we are misunderstanding each other or I (can't speak
for others) would be very interested in why you disagree.

thanks,
   john