Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/6/22 09:50, Joel Halpern wrote:

Keith, it seems to me that Dan's choices of responses in the conversation about this action are relevant and appropriate evidence to consider in evaluating the appropriateness of the proposed action.
I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically by "the conversation" because the cited messages are from multiple conversations.   But given that the whole accusation is about Dan's messages (or some of them that have been specifically cited), well, sure, those messages should be considered in evaluating the appropriateness of the proposed action.   I hope and assume that's what everyone else is doing too.

I understand that you have a philosophical objection to any action of this sort.  That is a different discussion.

I can make a case for the occasional (hopefully rare) need for the kind of action that BCP 83 defines.   Whether IESG has sufficiently made that case, or whether BCP 83 was appropriate to use in this instance, are different questions.

Keith