Re: Bad/Good ideas and damage control by experienced participants

On 6/22/22 15:45, Miles Fidelman wrote:

All I'm saying is that better take people to task privately, not publicly - and FAR better than imposing "moderation" or expelling someone from a list.
I agree with that much, except that it's nearly always a bad idea to "take people to task".   That's almost never a constructive means of feedback, especially in a forum like IETF which has consensus-making as its explicit goal.

Sometimes, a simple "Hey <your name>, That was a bit out-of-line.  Perhaps people might take you more seriously, if you dial it back a bit" - is more than enough to rein someone in.

Such feedback sounds really presumptuous and at least borderline offensive.   It creates more heat than light.

Instead, I recommend,"Hey, <your name>, I'm trying hard to understand where you are coming from.  Do you think you could explain in a bit more detail?"

Keith