Re: Mail is worse than everything except all the alternatives, was Service outages planned for April 25

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 11:56:37AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

> And in addition to the other reasons that cause people to prefer other
> media, spam filters have made cross-domain email notoriously
> unreliable.
>
> We've basically lost what used to be a common Internet-wide medium for
> effective communication, and that's an immense tragedy.

This is, at least from my perspective, rather an exaggeration of the
scope of problems.  Even though I am not even bothering with DKIM or
DMARC, or otherwise jumping through any hoops, I am not encountering any
issues with email delivery.

I still find myself from time to time taking advantage of searches
through my mailbox for decade+ year old messages, something that is
simply not viable for SMS, Skype, Signal, ...  Email is the only digital
medium where one can expect to be able to retain long-term
correspondence, and the sky is not falling, at least from where I sit.

Yes, there is a myriad of new options, and I also use some of them now
and then.

--
    Viktor.