Re: Mail is worse than everything except all the alternatives, was Service outages planned for April 25

On 4/28/22 18:11, John Levine wrote:

It appears that Keith Moore  <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Also, why should it be a dark art to have legitimate email successfully
delivered?
Because spammers try very hard to make their mail look like legitimate
mail, and unlike you, they have a financial incentive to figure out
and evade the filters.

It may not seem fair, but it's reality. I would like to be able to set
up my new nice mail server and send my nice mail without having to do
SPF and DKIM and DMARC and MTA-STS and TLSA and IP reputation and
while I am waiting I would also like a pony.

It's generally been my experience that people say "it's reality" in the same way that people sometimes say "it is clear that..." ... i.e. when they can't actually justify what they're saying, or they don't have the imagination to see how things could be different, or maybe, when they have an interest in maintaining the status quo.  It's a red flag, an anti-pattern.

But you didn't actually answer my question.   Because getting your mail delivered is not just a matter of doing SPF and DKIM etc., it's black magic.   It's jumping through hoops that most people don't know exist, and the people who impose those hoops want to keep them somewhat secret... until they can impose more hoops.

Which is great if you're in the hoop selling business I guess.

It's a deplorable situation, and IETF shouldn't be propping it up.

Keith