Re: Tombstone README for FTP service

Am 28.04.2022 um 20:45 schrieb Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM):
Keith Moore writes:

   * Are there GUI interfaces to that permit operations on multiple files
     at once (identified by patterns and/or a picker) on webdav remote
     file systems?

* Are there command line clients that mimic the behaviour of the ftp
   command?  I.e. something that will let you 'cd' and 'ls' your way
   around the remote file system.

What so many of the "kill FTP" proponents are missing is the lack
of discoverability in their proposed replacements.  Tools like
curl work fine if you already know what you want, but like going to
the library, quite often I don't know what I want until I find it.

I have spent endless hours exploring archives and the like using the
ftp command that way.  The only suggested replacement that provides
that functionality is NFS.

And that reason alone is a sufficient deal breaker for me regarding
any of the proposed FTP replacements.  (Note I'm speaking here in
the general sense.  This wasn't a particularly important aspect in
accessing the RFC/I-D archives.)

Yes, WebDAV has the PROPFIND method which essentially gives you "ls -l"
for HTTP resources. For over 23 years now. (see
https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#METHOD_PROPFIND)

You can use it by "mounting" the filesystem, by using a custom client
such as Cyberduck (<https://cyberduck.io/>), or simply by sending
PROPFIND using JS in a browser.

Best regards, Julian