From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Shepherd
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 6:27 PM
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Accurate history [Re: "professional" in an IETF context]

Existence of running code for some specification means
not that the specification is good but that we can
operate and evaluate the specification to judge whether
it is good or not.

                                                Masataka Ohta

This, surprisingly, can't be said enough. I've repeatedly heard the argument that someone's running code is verification that the idea is sound, and therefore the solution should be adopted. And I can rarely tell if they are simply lacking any sense of architecture or if they are just trolling the group to push their work. Either way, it's exhausting.

- Shep