Re: Describing which behavior is appropriate or not (was: Last Call: <draft-eggert-bcp45bis-06.txt> (IETF Discussion List Charter) to Best Current Practice)

On 2021-11-03, at 13:54, Bron Gondwana <brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I kind of agree, but I also realise that there's probably some cultural baggage here and civil might translate better in the parts of the world which aren't primarily English-speaking and to people who aren't corporate professionals.

The German word with the same roots, “zivil”, means “not military” (civilian) or also "not in uniform” (plain-clothes).
JFYI; we are used that words mean different things in English than in German.

“Professionell” has pretty much the same meaning here as in English, but in German many uses of “professional” become “Beruf-“, “beruflich” (having to do with the occupation/job) or “geschäftlich” (having to do with business).
“Professionell” most definitely does not mean “corporate” here.

Grüße, Carsten