Re: BCP97bis

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 3:45 PM John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I actually think that suggests something that should probably be
considered for BCP97bis: that the downref procedure and registry
should be used only when there are substantive reasons why the
relevant document cannot be upgraded or that doing so would
require an unreasonable amount of effort.  That would strengthen
the text that now appears in the last paragraphs of Murray's
Sections 4.2 and 5 but even the current text suggests to me that
"trivial" is not a good enough reason for the use of that
registry.

I also just noticed that the draft does not appear to describe
the contents and format of that registry, what entity is
responsible for keeping it, and where.  Especially if we take
the position that, once something is in that registry, no
special procedures (or different procedures) need be followed to
use the reference in another document, the registry should
record why downref permission was granted, in which the
document's categories the reference falls, and any additional
explanation that seems necessary -- that information should not
just be in the Last Call.  My instinct tells me that the RFC
Editor Function should be responsible for the registry itself,
but that might raise issues I have not thought of yet.

Describing the registry's current structure and maintenance is easy enough.  I'll add that.

It would probably be a nightmare to add that retroactively for the entries already present, but the publication of this revision to BCP 97 could stipulate that, going forward, the reason for downref permission needs to be recorded and made visible for future entries, and who the responsible AD was.

What did you mean by "in which document's categories the reference falls"?

-MSK