Re: BCP97bis

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 1:29 PM Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are we having a problem getting downrefs identified early enough, or are
things okay?

My impression is that idnits and the datatracker are catching these a high percentage of the time.  In my time on the IESG (a measly 1.5 years) I haven't managed to catch a document that failed to call out a downref.

I also wonder if we shouldn't have a process to attempt to clean the downref
registry out, but reclassifying the documents.  The repeated MD5 and HMAC
document listed as examples seem like good datapoints. (MD5 might be
Historic, but HMAC is still awesome)

That's an interesting idea, but I think it's perhaps an effort separate from this one.

} At a minimum, authors/editors of source documents need to secure freely
} available copies of the target documents for use by all anticipated reviewers
} during the source document's life cycle, which includes working group
} participants, any member of the community that chooses to participate in Last
} Call discussions, area review teams, IANA expert reviewers, and members of
} the IESG.

It seems to me, if this requirement is to be taken seriously, that either the
DT or some other resource needs to contain notes on how to obtain the